Pages

Sunday, July 1, 2012

my pet chickens

So as I've stated before I'm a city girl. I was born in raised as one. I'm white like a vampire, because I burn so bad everytime I go out in the sun. I never done the whole outdoors thing until the last couple of years. The only animals I had growing up was a cat that I had from the time I was three until I was 16.

Now I'm reminding you of this because when I'm excited over something as simple as my chickens you'll understand better why I am.

So March was the first batch. I complained all the way there and back about how I didn't want these chickens. We ended up with three Easter eggers. As I raised these chickens I grew to love them. Before I knew it they was ready for the coop.

I immediately rushed out and bought another Easter egger and 6 bantams. Out of these two batches we had one Easter egger and two bantams that showed signs of being a rooster. About 2 weeks ago the bantams started their crowing. My husband who argued with me about the Easter egger being a rooster asked me why he wasn't crowing if the younger bantams was already.

Of course, I did internet search about it and most had said 4-6 months. So we've been listening to the banys trying their best for two weeks. My husband had asked some people at our feed store about if it was really a rooster. They assured us that he was a hen and that they always get hens unless the roosters are specially ordered.

Now the Easter eggers are about 4 months old. Yesterday we found our first egg from one of the eater eggers. Yes, I was completely jumping up and down! How can you not when you work so hard raising them?

Today I rush out to look in the coop for my second egg...and found nothing! I was sad:( I was so prepared to look in the box and find another colored egg.

We let our chickens roam while we are out and can watch them. So all our chickens was roaming. Now when I say all I mean all 53. Yes, I went from not wanting 3 to buying a total of 53. The youngest was just put out in the coop. They are 5 weeks old.

Since we've been arguing over the Easter egger that I thought was a rooster and my husband said was a hen, we named him rue Paul. Perfect name, right? Rue was taking his dirt bath when he suddenly jumped up (yes I was watching him) and he belted out this big crow! I am so excited over this. My Rue finally crowed for me.

The two bantams that has been crowing are parrot bay (looks like a little parrot) and konevil. Konevil got his name because he would jump the fence to be with the bigger chickens. Konevil was always a daring little thing.

Over the last few weeks he wouldn't crow unless he was out of the coop. There never out of the coop until we are out there. Since we keep them out at my husbands grandmothers (not a loud to have chickens where I live) she never heard them crow in the coop.

We had a huge thunderstorm that ended up pulling a piece of the chicken wire off and aloud parrot bay to escape. We rushed out there to fix the coop and to put him back in. Well as soon as I walked into the coop and konevil seen me he started crowing. Today we show up and as soon as he seen me he started belting his squeeky crow. I left to run to Walmart and when I got back..he crowed for 30 minutes. He's a happy chicken when he sees me lol.

There's something special about chickens. The way that they talk to each other, their personalities, and the way the interact with us. I'm a chicken fantatic and so glad that the hubby pushed me into getting my first 3.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment