Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

I have finally met a bad pickle!

I'm a huge pickle fanatic! I love them, I can eat them with anything or even by themselves.

When I started my garden I was hell bent on pickles. When the first batch was finally big enough to can, my ass was in there canning me some.

I had bought my canning salt and vinegar. The fresh dill came from my herbs that's I've been growing in the front yard. So I followed the recipe on the back of the salt bag. Everything seemed to have went smoothly and I was excited.

Of course, I was the first one to pop the top on these pickles. I took a huge bite and it dehydrated me immediately. There was so much salt that I was pretty sure I'd have a stroke lol. It was horrible and so disappointing for me.

To my surprise there is a brine pickle that is extremely salty. I found out that I'm not a fan of these types of pickles at all. So I ended up pouring out all 8 jars.

I have now found a recipe that I'm happy with. There flavored good and not at all salty like the first batch.

Since the pickles I have canned apple butter, apple preserves, pickled zuchini and strawberry margarita preserves.

I'm now following the Ball Canning and preserving book and will not be following the back of bags. I never dreamed that I'd have a complete fail like that but I have realized that canning is like basic cooking. Some recipes you like.. and others are just horrible.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment