Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Does that Haul Ass

October 10-11

The temp here has been back in the high 80's. We still go out because you never really know when a deer will come through.

Unfortunately we didn't see any movement on Monday. However, on Tuesday my area was hopping!

We was running a bit behind because my son had quiz bowl practice after school. So we went over the hill at 5pm last night. Willie decided to get in the two man to try his luck there. Nick goes to the creek and I'm in the one man.

So I can see Willie over the embankment and I'm watching him climbing up and down the ladder. I couldn't figure out what he was doing. I guess the ladder sunk and threw the two man off. It was leaning forward pretty far and he had to fix it.

As I'm watching him about 10 minutes after we get down there I see something out of the corner of my eye. I turned my head and this large doe is standing to my right about 50 yards and she's broadside.

I stand up. And get my bow ready and she is covered my a bunch of branches . So I had to wait until she was in the open. She skipped over to a clump of trees and Willie made a sound and she ran up and over the embankment about 50-60 yards behind Willie.

Finally he gets the stand all set up and climbs in. I'm texting Willie about the ninja doe that came through that he missed. I guess he never even heard her behind him. Lol so I finally know where they are coming from. Which is an awesome thing for me because now I can take the climber tonight if I want an shift my position.

So as I'm setting there watching the path.. Here comes another doe. She's hauling ass through the area and she's coming towards me. So I'm up with my bow and waiting to see if she will get close enough to stop her. Of course she goes up the same path as the previous doe!

Yep two! No shots fired on either one:( The rain finally pops in on us about 7pm just as the sun had set. So we decided to bail out and check the path's that I watched them take. The path that they are coming out of is about 70-80 yards to my right and it's coming from the creek. The are coming down the path towards me and are cutting across the path about 40-50 yards on the other side. So my stand need to be shifted down about 20 yards and I should be in the zone!!

October 12

I decided to stay in my current stand for last nights hunt. We have seen the big 9 there and 3 does in the last week in this area. I know if I move my stand down the path it may disrupt what I have going.

I got in the stand at 4pm yesterday. Willie was in the two man again and nick by the creek. My brother-in-law Jon wanted to hunt with us so he was on the hang on.

Jon was slightly upset because he couldn't hunt my stand or the two man.. But how I see it.. Those that don't put the hard work in don't get the prime spots.

The weather here was terrible up until yesterday morning. It rained all tuesday night until wednesday morning. So the temp was in the 60's most of the day. Seemed like the perfect weather for us to see some Ohio Whitetails.

Even in our "prime" spots nothing came through. So we had plans of going back out this evening but the rain started again. From what the weather channel is saying it'll last all day:( It looks like we will have to hold off until Monday before trying again.

No comments:

Post a Comment