Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Does and a buck

Monday it rained most of the day, Which was all right with me. All though I love hunting I have so much that needs to be done that the break is generally appreciated.

Tuesday evening was clear. So Nick , Willie, and I all hit the stands. Willie was in the blind, Nick in the one man by the creek, and I was in the two man by the cornfield. We are all spaced out enough to block the deer pretty much in our area.

As Willie was setting in his blind, he heard movement. He see's flashes of brown through the weeds. He picked his bow up and someone started talking. Yep, someone was walking through wearing brown! Which you might expect this if we was in public land but we was on private property.

Right after that happens I hear a crash. I look up to see a doe standing 10 yards in front of me. She was behind a group of trees and vines. I might have been able to get a shot at her but thought I'd wait her out and see if she would just step out in the clearing. If she would've done those two steps to the left I'd be in the clear and knew I'd have her. Of course, she chooses to head toward the hill where she steps on a twig. She bolts off down the ridge.

Wednesday we ended up back out in the same stands. We was there about 3pm. Before going down the guys wanted to fire off a couple rounds of arrows. The guys fired off a volley each. Of course, me being me had to do one shot. I shoot and of course I score:)

Nicks arrow was about an inch from bulls eye and when I shot, the broadhead sliced his fletching right off the arrow. Which was funny enough as it was, but to Nicks disappointment I was also in the bulls eye:)

We ended up in the stands and blind at 4pm. It was a normal time, we was all texting back and forth talking about how we are bound to see more activity soon. We even was discussing other options of where to hunt on this property during rut. Lol I was even complaining about how everytime I get in the stand I have to pee!

So The text slow down and dusk is fast approaching. When Nick texts that he shot a buck. He didn't know if he got him or not, so I staid in my stand while Willie went over to check and see if he could find an arrow or blood trail.

The buck was shot in the middle of the creek and rain up the hill to Area 2 on the other half the property. The deer gushed the entire way so it wasn't too hard to locate where he fell.

I on the other hand stayed to the last moment in my stand. Nothing came around to my disappointment so I headed back to the house. As much as I love to hunt, I'm not excites enough to go tracking a deer that's not mine lol.

Once the guys located him, We ended up taking the 4 wheelers to the other side of the property to help pull him out. Nick was so excited! He could barely contain himself. He was texting his mom, wife, step dad, and who ever else he thought of during the time.

Today Nick stayed home. So it was just me and Willie out there. Willie got in the stand by the creek while I was in the cornfield again. We was running late thanks to slow traffic. About 15 minutes after I got in the stand a doe came crashing through.

She was skittish and was eyeballing everything around her. She was facing me so I slowly got up and started to draw back. I was debating about taking a shot in the chest or what to see if she would turn when she just bolts up the hill! I tried to get her to stop but she was hell bent on getting out of there.

Willie however was seeing a lot of activity over where he was. Just none of them would come in close enough. They was either going over to Area 1 or heading towards where the blind is. Eh maybe next week we will get one on the ground too.



No comments:

Post a Comment